7 #DIY Ways To Add Autumn Elegance To Your Home - #CHDS14
As the season shifts from summer to fall, we transition our wardrobe to follow suit-- but why not do the same with your décor!
Autumn is all about indulging the senses… the smell and taste of warm pumpkin pie, the sound of a crackling fire, the feel of a cozy knit sweater, and the sight of Mother Nature’s brilliant colour palette.
Incorporating seasonal touches into your home does not have to be a costly or a time consuming endeavour. Here are some of my favourite #DIY tips and tricks to freshen up your home for fall and bring warmth and texture into any space.
- Replace fresh summer flowers with organic branches gathered from the yard to create a more rustic and casual arrangement.
- Remove formal tablecloths to expose the rich beauty of a natural wood dining table.
- Go accessory shopping at the farmers market. I love styling with pumpkins, gourds, and dried corn stalks, and the best part is that once the season is over you can put everything in the composter instead of storing the fall décor.
- A hollowed out pumpkin makes the perfect container for potted mums or a centre piece of fresh seasonal wild flowers.
- Purchase, or if you’re crafty, make inexpensive chenille or velvet toss pillow covers that you can tuck your existing summer cushions into for an instant seasonal update.
- Small dried gourds can be easily transformed into reusable autumn name place holders on your dining table with a quick spray of Rust-Oleum’s chalkboard paint.
- Customize an inexpensive sisal door mat with some craft stencils and outdoor paint.
If you’re looking for more fall #DIY décor ideas, then don’t miss the upcoming Calgary Home + Design Show taking place from September 18-21 at the BMO Centre, Stampede Park.
While you’re there, don’t miss the Upcycle Challenge sponsored by Rust-Oleum in support of Habitat for Humanity with creative #DIY makeover projects, executed by some of Calgary’s best and brightest design and do-it-yourself professionals in the industry. And if you’re craving more fall tips for freshening up your home, join me on Friday, September 19th at 3:00 p.m for a main stage presentation filled with #DIY inspiration and how-to information.
This has been a guest post by:
Leigh-Ann Allaire Perrault
Follow her on Twitter too! @leighannallaire